Pages

When the man of the house cooks


My dad is a food lover. As such, when food is concern, he can be extremely fussy. Dad hardly eats outside. He loves to cook his own food.

Even now, we dare not take him to a restaurant without us testing the food first. I recalled taking him out to Victoria Station for his birthday couple of years ago, where he complained about his not so nice lobster on our way home right after the dinner.

My house is just 20 minutes away from my parent’s house. The beauty is, whenever dad cooks extra, he would call me up at the office and ask me to drop by his house after work and pickup the dish that he had cooked.

Among the dishes are:
Sambal petai & ikan bilis. My all time favorite. Esp when the skin is still intact. Oh my god…it’s so crunchy!

Yam basket with stir fry mix vege and chicken. I don’t need rice when I eat this dish. The yam itself is already filling.

Sayur pucuk manis and keledek masak lemak + sambal kentang & ikan bilis + udang goreng kunyit. A truly kampung style cuisine.

Sambal petai. The petai is so gemuk and gebu..hahhahahaha…

Pengat durian with pulut. My dad would cook this when he knows I am fasting on that day.

Another dessert – yam cake? Can’t remember what it’s called. But I always refer it as yam cake.

Salmon head asam pedas with kobis jeruk...

Another favorite of mine – wantan noodles.

I managed to capture these pics when I came over to dad’s house on last Monday. Dad called earlier that day asking me if I am fasting. When I said yes, he asked me to have iftar at his house. He said he’ll be cooking the Cantonese style wantan noodles.


 


Wantan noodles hidden underneath the prawn and bak choy.

The following pic got nothing to do with my dad’s dishes. It’s my junior masterchef in the making during her baking class.


Cha Cha begged me to join the baking class at Bake Me Wonders @ Empire. I hesitated, but in the end, I gave in, cos at least, she’ll be messing up someone’s kitchen instead of mine…hahhahaa.

The outcome – Peanut butter chocolate truffles. Yummylicious!

11 comments:

somuffins said...

Maya
My oh my... I nak jadi kakak angkat you, boleh? heheh..

Your father actually buat that yam basket?? Pengsan!
That 'yam cake' to me isnt dessert, hehe. Tu savoury kan? I think your father either guna yam or lobak putih to make its base. I suppose orang Melayu panggil talam berlauk... cewah!! I plak memandai2 nih. Apa pun, pls ask your father nama kueh tu. Just to kill my curiosity. That one tiny tot choc truffle ChaCha yg buat atau mamanya yg buat? :-)

March 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Art lover, cinnamonworldofcolours said...

Salam..
You r one lucky girl..sorang lagi kakak angkat boleh? hehe..
I kalau duduk berdekatan dgn family,I lah tukang masak..gitu. Memang seronok kalau sekali sekala org pulak panggil makan, esp lauk pauk like yr father cooks.

March 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Maya Marisa said...

Cik Som,

kakak angkat i? u jadi adik angkat my dad apa kata?? hehehhe
yup my dad make the yam basket from scratched. he learned from a chinese chef. my dad kan mix arab & chinese...hehhee
too bad my dad is out of town at the moment. nnti dia balik i tanya dia nama betul the so called 'yam cake' tu. btw, my dad mmg guna yam. not lobak putih. he would make it a bit bland (my dad tak kuat garam). but sos tu dia buat pedas & manis. thats why i called it a dessert rather than a savoury...hahahah bole gitu?
the peanut butter choc truffle tu mmg hasil kerjatangan cha cha. mummy nyer tunggu kat luar jer, jadi mamarazi sorokX amik gambar.

March 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Maya Marisa said...

Art lover,

wksm. u jadi adik angkak my dad la...mcm cik som ok? hehehe.
wah, another cook. i bet your kids would love to stay nearby ur house when did get married nnti.
my dad mmg suka masak. kekadang tu saja jer dia masak bestX2 pastu call me & my hb suruh dinner kat rumah dia. mcm mana la i tak watch my calorie intake. tu yg i pikir better i puasa sunat on mons & thurs.

March 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Yong Kamariah said...

Salam hon., fuihhhhh what a feast daddy u masak eh, terangkat dan terancam gitew! petai... owh petai... i also like the petai yg masak still intact ngan kulitnya, sgt berkhasiat and yummeh! wahhhh your lil masterchef nti dah boley baking utk besday sendiri nanti, you go girl!

March 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Maya Marisa said...

Yong,

Wksm. cemana la anak nyer tak diet, exercise & puasa la kannn...dah ayahanda nyer masak sodapX2 gitu.
re petai. uish, bole calit gitu. mmg sedap dimakan dgn kulitX2 nyer sekali.
re cha cha, muahhahaha nnti kita tengok yer tahun depan if she can bake her own b'day cake...

March 31, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Maya, wow! Your dad a gourmet cook! Not many dads like him too.
And yes, I have noticed people who can cook well will always have their thoughts about restaurant foods, or other people's.
Guess they kind of fussy....ha ha.
Me? I eat to live.
I really love those dishes your dad cooked....macham 5 star restaurant!
Lucky you.
Have fun, Maya.
Lee.

April 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM
PatinPasta said...

Maya,
Amboi.. mesti best that your father likes and enjoys cooking so much. Segala jenis masakan pon dia buleh masak.

btw, me too like the petai with bit of skin. sedap!

April 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM
iza bakar said...

Hi Maya,
Your dad really impressed me. The menu is superb. If got kenduri jemput me eh. hahahahah

April 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
somuffins said...

Knock knock .. assalamualaikum CikPah Maya..

Kemana awak menghilangkan diri??

May 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Maya Marisa said...

Uncle Lee, Aida, Iza & Cik Som,

Miss u all a lot! MUAAHHH!

March 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Post a Comment